Pages

8.12.2014

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TABLE: TRANSITIONING SMOOTHLY OUT OF YOUR EXECUTIVE BOARD POSITION


At the beginning of my freshman year, I joined my sorority intending to jump into leadership as soon as I could. I was then elected Vice President in the spring before my sophomore year. I had a great time as VP, but with plans to study abroad in the spring of my junior year, I chose not to run for an executive position this year. Our first chapter is two weeks from today, and I will be rejoining my sisters, this time on the other side of the exec table. It will be strange not sitting on the exec board, but I have some strategies to make this transition smooth.

Use my previous experience to help the new exec board.
All but one member of our exec board this year is new to exec, which means there will be a big learning curve. I can use my experience from last year not only to help the new VP adjust to her job, but also for the whole exec board, remembering what did and did not work last year.

Give the new exec board their space.
While my exec experience can and will be valuable to share with the new e-board, it's important that I not act like I'm still on exec. That would infringe on their space and diminish their impact on the members if I try to take part of that influence for myself. Additionally, this would cause other active members to become resentful of me - who am I to act like I'm above them when we're peers in the organizational structure?

Find other ways of developing leadership.
Leadership is one of my sorority's cardinal principles, so developing leadership is essential for all members. Although I'm no longer on exec, I applied for and received the position of Homecoming Coordinator, so I will still have the opportunity to grow as a leader and leave my mark on my sorority. Many sororities have "smaller" ways of helping out - find one that fits your skills/interests and go for it!

Enjoy your new found free time!
Being on the exec board takes time, what with exec board meetings, planning, and outside work involved. You deserve a break!

I know that in many sororities, most exec members are sophomores or juniors who don't participate on the exec board for their senior year, so if this isn't you now, it very well might apply to you someday! If it is you - I hope these tips helped, enjoy your year!





Alex Welch is a junior at the University of Kansas and a member of Omega Phi Alpha, a national service sorority. Her blog, Undergraduate Style, focuses mostly on personal style with elements of Greek Life and life as a Resident Assistant. You can find her at undergraduatestyle.com or on Instagram at @undergraduatestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment